Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Turn up the Spotlight

Theatre is a collaborative art - musical theatre even more so.  Director, designers, technicians, actors, musicians all work together to bring a piece of theatre to life on the stage.  In community theatre, at least in my experiences, I have taken on the role of director, designer, choreographer, sound guy, pit musician, and other roles -- usually at the same time.  There are pluses and minuses to that, but for the most part I enjoy the control I have and creativity I get to use in being the guy who wears many hats. 

Now, for the most part, have stayed away from wearing one hat --- actor.  Now I have acted before -- I was in the musical Big River and the musical Annie Get Your Gun -- both supporting roles.  I have even been on stage in 2 shows I directed -- I played the Wolf in Into the Woods and the voice of the plant in Little Shop of Horrors.  Now let me tell you the being in a show that you are also directing in very challenging.  Your focus is so fractured in dealing with blocking, set building etc. -- then add memorizing lines and music on top of that -- it is not for the faint of heart, and honestly I discourage other directors for doing it unless they have to.  Although there is a handful of roles I would love to play on stage, I would much rather let someone more talented take those parts on.

However, as a director, I feel that sometimes I forget what an actor has to go through in the process of bringing a part to life on the stage.  So, in an effort to constantly improve as a director and understand the role of actor, I am again, after 7 or so years, going to be on stage ... and direct the show as well. Now it is not easy for me to be on stage.  I am not a trained singer and only a mildly trained actor.  I used to have huge stage fright as a kid.  So being on stage for me can be a bit frustrating and a bit scary.  But I have as of late, felt like I just need to get up on stage and feel what's it's like to being under the lights again.

The show is called THE APPLE TREE.  It is from the same creative team that wrote Fiddler on the Roof.  It is a collection of 3 small musicals all based around men, women and temptation -- The Diary of Adam & Eve, The Lady and the Tiger, and Passionella (a twisted version of the Cinderella story).  I'm only playing a supporting role (3 actually).  But I have to sing and act... and memorize ... and design the set .... and block the show ... you get the idea.   Oh, and just to make it more of a challenge, I have a huge production of CABARET five weeks after this show.  What can I say -- I like to keep busy.  But I have 2 great leading actors to work with, a solid small chorus and some extra directorial help that should make this a memorable and fun show to work on.

So, if you want to see me as you probably never have seen me before (I mean I'm playing a singing snake for God's sake), come to the show August 9, 10, or 11.   I can guarantee you'll have fun.  And me being on stage may not happen again in the near future, so if you wanna witness something that may never happen again, you should come.  Just be kind in any comments or criticism.   You don't wanna hurt my feelings.  I'm a sensitive actor after all!

No comments:

Post a Comment