Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Attend the tale of Sweeney Todd

So this is one of my 3 favorite musicals ever.  I love the score, the story, the complexity, the drama --- it's just a great piece of theatre.  It's a wonderful melding of musical theatre and opera.  There's humor and darkness.  It's macabre, yet there are moments of sillyness.  I dare anyone not to be affected in the watching or listening to of this masterwork.

First, some background on the show ...

SWEENEY TODD
The Demon Barber of Fleet Street

Music & Lyrics by Stephen Sondheim
Book by Hugh Wheeler
based on a version of Sweeney Todd by Christopher Bond

opened on Broadway in 1979

winner of 8 Tony Awards including Best Musical, Best Book, Best Score, Best Director (Hal Prince), Best Actor (Len Cariou) and Best Actress (Angela Lansbury)

licensed by Music Theatre International

Synopsis

Sweeney Todd is a musical thriller about a 19th century London barber who goes on a murderous rampage. In the past, the evil Judge Turpin framed Todd (known then as Benjamin Barker) and raped his young wife. Todd was unjustly incarcerated in a penal colony for 15 years. However, when the show begins, Todd has managed to return to London and has come seeking revenge. He rents a room over the shop of Mrs. Lovett, the proprietress of a struggling pie shop. Todd’s thirst for blood soon expands to include not only the judge but also his unfortunate customers. Meanwhile, Mrs. Lovett happily puts the bodies in the meat grinder and uses the human meat in her meat pies – which become extremely popular with the citizens of London.




------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I first came to love it my freshman year in college when it was that year's spring musical.  I would sit in the back of Straughn Hall and watch rehearsals and was fascinated by the story and music.  I had never thought that a musical could have such a dark subject and yet be funny and moving as well.  This was also my first exposure to the music of Stephen Sondheim, who I regard as a genius.  I will direct this show at some point in my life ... and maybe even take on the title role myself, if I ever feel confident enough. However, I like it so much that I am way too critical about it and won't allow myself to do it unless all the parts alight -- casting, set, orchestra etc.

Things to consider ....
  • this musical is operatic in structure and scope
  • there are a lot of high tenors in both the leads and chorus
  • the main roles of Sweeney and Mrs Lovett are some of the greatest and most difficult acting and singing roles in musical theatre
  • although the show seems large in scale and emotion, there is great subtlety and nuance in the music and characterization.
  • you will need razors and a barber chair - not easy props to find

No comments:

Post a Comment