Friday, April 13, 2012

You're the Top!

Cole Porter
1891-1964

Next to Stephen Sondheim, my favorite song composer is Cole Porter.  Like Sondheim, he is one of few composers of musical theatre that wrote both music and lyrics.  His music a has touches of jazz and blues.  His lyrics are quite sophisticated.  Although he wrote hundreds of songs for various revues and musicals, he is most famous for 2 shows ..... ANYTHING GOES (1934) and KISS ME KATE (1948).


He lived quite a life.  There is a great bio movie about him called  DE-LOVELY starring Kevin Kline that you should check out. 

Here are some clips of Cole Porter songs that are my favorites ....







and what I think is my favorite Porter song and one of my top favorite musical theatre songs .....







No comments:

Post a Comment