Monday, May 28, 2012

A special kind of people known as Show People

So, today was my day off and tonight I was completely bored at home.  That can be a dangerous thing for me.  I gives me time to think and re-think and obsess and generally drive myself a bit insane.    I start asking myself questions -- everything from why am I so bored to why don't I have anyone to hang out with to some even darker things that I won't go into here.

However, tonight's main question can from something someone said to me earlier in the day.... "Why do you do live shows at the Arcadia when there is already a community theatre group in Wellsboro doing really great shows?"

Now I have been asked this question before and I usually just shake it off with "I like having my own thing." as my default answer.  But in my introspective boredom today, I seriously considered the first part of the question --- Why do I do shows?

Well I suppose the simple answer is because I love it.  I love theatre.  I love bringing a great story to life on the stage. I can lose myself in a great show.  I really like working with talented people and seeing what they can bring to a role.  I really love it when an actor surprises me and takes a role or a song to a whole new level of passion and interest.  I will cite a moment -- when I did Sunday in the Park with George last year, the is a point in Act 1 -- We Do Not Belong Together and a point in Act 2 -- Move On.  We were rehearsing these scenes but they just weren't clicking for me.. They lacked the emotional connection I thought the songs needed.  After talking with the actors, we tried the songs again and I got chills -- they understood what I wanted and figured out how to deliver it and sang and acted with such passion and feeling that it was something beautiful to behold.  In that moment, I remember saying to myself -- This is why I do what I do.

If I'm being honest, I must admit that I like being in control of everything, which is why I hardly ever let anyone help me.  I guess I would have to also admit that I like the power that comes as a director.  Telling people what to do and how to act can be fun.  But on the whole, for me, it's all about love -- love of theatre, love of the people who share my joy in theatre. 

I also like the friends I make.  I have worked with dozens of actors.  I stay in contact with many.  But there are a special few that I now consider good friends and that means more to me than those people know.

Now, there are reasons why I don't do theatre.   I don't do theatre for money.  There is none.  I don't do theatre for praise or awards or acclaim.  I am happy with "Thanks for a great show." or "It was great working with you - I really enjoyed it and learned a lot."  That means more to me than any award.  Of course I like all that stuff.  Who doesn't want to be praised?  It doesn't happen very much but when it does, it's nice.  I wish I could garner some awards, take shows to festivals and have all the great press that some other performing groups have --- but not for me -- I only want that to recognize the talent and passion of the actors I work with.  But I can't deny that recognition for efforts would be appreciated.

Now there is a flip side to this question -- why do people want to do shows with me?  To be honest, many times I am not sure.  I'm certain there is the love of performing.   And just as I do, there are many who just love theatre.  There is also the getting to shine and be a "star" thing.  But any actor can get any of that with any director.  So, again, why me?

I have been told that I am fun to work with.  Ok.  That's nice.   I like fun.  Working on a show should be fun.   But what else?   The choice of shows I pick?  Possibly -- I like to do challenging and different shows that actors and audiences may not get to experience.  To learn something?   I do try to make each show I work on a learning experience for those involved.   But do people of high school or college age do a show so they can learn something, especially after spending all day in a learning environment?  I would say maybe a few do.  Many learn things without even knowing it.  I can be sly like that - teaching things in a way that people don't even know they're learning.

So why else would people do a show with me?  I can't promise trips to Europe to compete with other theatre groups.  I can't promise the experience will generate those facebook comments like "I will remember this forever" or "What a life-changing musical experience!"  Now maybe that happens.   If so, great.  I've never had anyone tell me that however.

All I can promise is a great theatre experience where we tell a good story and put forth a quality production .... and have a little fun along the way.

So I guess I am asking those who have worked on a show with me .... Why?  Feel free to comment.  I suppose I am looking for a little of that whole praise thing -- I could use a little ego boost I guess.   But I am curious.   Perhaps feedback will make me a better director. 

Anyway ... thanks for reading.  I promise the next post will be less heavy.


3 comments:

  1. You provide a low-stress environment for the students! Although I only did one show with you at the Arcadia, it was one of my overall favorites. When working on the university musical, there is a lot of tension among the cast and directors - maybe partly because of having multiple directors/producers. Because you are the only one giving direction at the Arcadia, there is no confusion. You are straight to the point and honest, but not too harsh. You're also able to laugh and have a good time with the cast, which helps a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know these are all good questions... I have thought about why I do theatre as well. I think though that at the Arcadia, aside from a generally stress free environment, and clear yet fun direction, what makes it special is the ability to connect. I can't think of one show at the arcadia that the cast has not seemed WAY more connected by the end. I think part of that comes out of feeling like equals. We all enter in excited to learn and grow and be on stage, but whether lead or not- it's a small enough and encouraging enough group that by the end we might even be lucky enough to achieve an amazing connection with our cast memebers, director, and even sometimes audience. Peter, we do have you to thank for this. I know generally casts manage to bond during shows, but it's usually through back stage jokes or our free time. Because you are so open with us and willinging to be apart of this theatre family the bonding happens all the time. During every rehearsal whether we are on or off stage. I don't know if I am making any sense anymore.... but what I am trying to say is thank you. Thank you for opening up to us, for being a real person, and being willing to help us grow and treat us with respect and friendship along the way. That is why Arcadia is special; that is why people drive 20 minutes there and back for late night rehearsals, because as human beings we want to connect, we want to belong, and be apart of something bigger than ourselves... and your shows give us that opening. :) I hope to see the Arcadia flourish with theatre for years to come! Much Love- Danielle

    ReplyDelete
  3. I only was able to do Spelling Bee with you (so far anyway) but it was my absolute favorite performance experience since I wasn't pre-judged from the start and you were fair and honest and all around personable with everyone. The shows on campus seem to always turn out the same. The shows are good but the experience is horrible. Yes, I'll admit this in writing. A show at the Arcadia though is so fun and people actually WANT to go to practices and don't mind staying late into the night. Thank you so much for that experience!

    ReplyDelete