Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Forbidden Fruit

I have always like the musical THE APPLE TREE.  The music, by Fiddler on the Roof creators Jerry Bock and Sheldon Harnick, is fun and catchy.  The stories by Mark Twain, Frank Stockton and Jules Feiffer and entertaining, although a bit dated and quirky.  I had kept the show in the back of my mind, because I knew I wanted to direct it at some point.  I consdiered it many times, but it never came to pass.  I finally decided to direct it this summer.  It's easy production demands and small cast made it a good choice for a summer show.

In the first act, entitled the Diary of Adam and Eve, the snake has a small role and a significant song, aptly titled Forbidden Fruit.   I have always liked that song.  It's a fun song.  It was part of the reason I decided that I could maybe play the part of the snake.  But how to direct and be in the show?  No easy task, let me tell you (but more about that in a moment).  Besides the snake, the same actor plays 2 other narrator roles.  I woul dhave to be on stage and backstage the whole time -- a place I usually never am.  But I had wanted to get back on stage and perform, since it had been several years since I had acted.  So, I bit the bullet, settled on doing the show and I would be both director and actor.

So, how did it all go, you may ask?  Well, here is what I learned.

1.  It is very hard to run a rehearsal whilst on stage acting.  Your focus should be on your lines, songs and character, but it is taken up by lighting, other actors blocking, costumes, sound etc.

2.  Your mouth goes dry at the worst possible times - no matter how much water you consume.

3.  If you have good scene partners, you can have a lot of fun and do some good work (thanks Katie and John).

4.  You need someone to come help who can take notes and watch rehearsals so you can attempt to be an actor (thanks Mark).

5.  I forgot how much actors sweat in those costumes, especially under the lights.

6.  I forgot how much I love the energy and adrenaline you have while acting. 

That all said, It is doubtful I will ever act in a show that I am also directing.   My focus is pulled in too many directions.  I would love to act again, but someone else will be the director so we both can do our best.  But, I have fond memories of this show.  It really is a fun little show -- great for high schools and community theatres.  I'm glad I finally got to work on it and will always remember how much fun it was to play a snake!





No comments:

Post a Comment