Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Perfectly Marvelous



I had the privilege and pleasure of directing the musical CABARET this September.  I have always found the show fascinating but never really explored all the possibilities it had to offer me, a cast and an audience.  I finally decided to take on the production last spring.  This past weekend I got to see the fruits of my labor up on the stage.  I must say that I am so proud of our production.  There were so many great things -- too many to list here.  Cabaret will stick in my head for a long time.
Here are some thoughts and observations from my experience and perspective ...

  • The production really needs careful planning and forethought to make it a cohesive show.  I really had to analyze the script and music, makes changes as needed, find the best possible cast and really understand all the themes and intents of the authors. 

  • You need a solid and talented cast, willing to trust your vision and step outside their comfort zone.  I had that in spades.  Just a great cast to work with.

  • The dances must be very good -- and I must say, our show really shined in the dance numbers -- A big thanks to Erika V. for her time and creativity choreographing the dances.

  • The show can be a great piece for the actors if they really embrace the emotion of the characters they are playing.  I think that actors enjoy when they can have some meat to the roles they are playing.  They audience certainly likes to see well-acted characters with string emotion.

  •  I was surprised how the audiences embraces the provocative nature of the show.  I think if all the racy material is handled well, it doesn't have the abrasive effect that I thought it would.

  • and finally.... the whole show lives and dies by the character of the Master of Ceremonies.  If he is not a real presence and a well-acted character, the whole show could never get off the ground.  Thankfully I was fortunate enough to have an amazing actor take on this role and really deliver an outstanding performance.  It was even more significant that he is not anything like the Emcee.  He wanted to take the risk of playing a character that was so far removed from the way he is in real life.  He trusted me to guide him and not steer him wrong.  That, in itself, means the world to me as a director.   It was a real pleasure to watch him bring this character to live on stage and find a level of comfortability in a very unconventional role and become a better actor than he ever thought he could be.  Everything he did on stage and off in this show will be one of my greatest memories as a a director.  And on a personal note, his commitment (and there was a lot to commit to) to this show was nothing short of amazing and I feel he and I are better friends and artistic colleagues having done this show together and that means the world to me.
Truly, a memorable production -- satisfying on many levels.  And a show that I will not soon forget.

No comments:

Post a Comment